Here's a fun vegetarian riff on the non-vegetarian classic Italian carpaccio. You can use any type of summer squash--in fact it's a very pretty presentation if you make concentric serving o 3 different varieties for 3 different colors. Slice the squash, whatever type, super thin. Makes about 4 servings.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 small zucchini or other summer squash
- 1/3 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts raw or very lightly toasted, optional
- 6 ounces fine quality aged Italian cheese such as Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Thinly sliced tips of 1 zucchini blossom optional
Cut the zucchini into paper-thin slices. Arrange slices, overlapping slightly, on a serving platter or 4 salad plates.
Cut chiffonade slivers of basil leaves, and sprinkle over the zucchini. Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice on top. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Let stand about 10 minutes to soften the zucchini and let the flavors develop.
Just before serving, sprinkle with the pine nuts and shaved cheese. If you have a squash blossom, garnish with slices of that.