Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Pecan Brownies
With rich chocolate flavor from both cocoa powder and chocolate chips, everyone loves these gooey vegan and gluten free brownies. Makes one 8-inch square pan. These brownies freeze beautifully!
Servings: 16 servings.
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal (see note)
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour (3 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup almond flour (2 ounces)
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 1 1/3 cups organic cane sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (really bumps up the chocolate flavor)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- ½ cup avocado or grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
Stir the water and flax meal together in a small bowl. Let sit at least 10 minutes, while you prepare the other ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat the sides and bottom of an 8 x 8-inch square pan with oil or cooking spray.
Whisk the buckwheat, almond, and rice flours in a large bowl with the sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder.
Whisk the milk, oil, and vanilla into the flax mixture. Add the liquid to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Quickly stir in the chocolate chips and pecans.
Scrape into the prepared pan.
Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool ½ hour (at least) before cutting into squares to serve. (see note)
- For recipe accuracy, weigh your flour. I use a simple inexpensive kitchen scale that can be switched back and forth from ounces to grams.
- If you can only find golden flax seeds, you can grind the seeds in a coffee or spice grinder.
- I keep a small jar of espresso powder in the pantry for desserts like these brownies.
- These brownies taste even better the next day. They have a graininess from the brown rice flour, that mellows into the brownies overnight!
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 136mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 19g | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1.4mg