Healthy Tangerine Julius Smoothie
Creamy tangerine and vanilla almond milk get a healthy boost from turmeric. Perfect for breakfast or afternoon pick-me-up beverage. Makes 3 cups--serves 2.
Servings: 2 people
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated tangerine zest
- ¾ cup fresh tangerine juice
- 1 small banana
- 3 to 4 pitted dates
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated fresh turmeric, or 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 or 3 ice cubes
- Be sure to include the citrus zest--the oil in the skin is essential to tangerine flavor.
- Scrape the peel from fresh ginger and turmeric before grating.
- A high-speed blender makes this smoothie the smoothest. I used a regular blender, which left tiny bits of date floating in the liquid. I didn’t mind the dates at all.
Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 246mg | Potassium: 671mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 326IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 271mg | Iron: 1mg