Chunky Banana Chocolate Chip Pecan Pancakes
These are good-for-you vegan pancakes. With chocolate for good-for-you fun. Maple syrup--the true decadence that gets you to the breakfast table ASAP. (These pancakes are really good for dinner too!) Makes about 10 pancakes.
Servings: 5 servings
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk (I used coconut, but cashew and almond will work too)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup banana flour or whole wheat flour (see note)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca or arrowroot flour (see note)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (see note)
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 1 ripe banana , chopped in ½ inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- ¼ cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- Coconut or avocado oil
- Maple syrup
Stir the “milk” water, and lemon juice together in a small bowl.
Sift the whole wheat flour, banana flour, if using, tapioca flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the ground chia.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Let sit for 5 minutes to let the batter thicken. Stir in the banana pieces, pecans, and chocolate. Preheat the oven to 200°F. and have a baking sheet ready.
Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add a bit of oil. Scoop ¼ cup dollops of batter into the hot pan. Cook until the pancakes form bubbles on top and the bottoms are light golden brown. Flip and cook until the pancakes are brown on the other side. Transfer to the baking sheet and place in the oven, so the pancakes stay warm while you repeat with the rest of the batter.
Serve immediately with hot maple syrup.
- Banana flour is made from dried green bananas. The flour has a neutral, maybe slightly acidic flavor. Feel free to use all white whole wheat flour.
- A tablespoon of either tapioca flour or arrowroot helps bind these vegan pancakes.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 200mg | Potassium: 284mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 155IU | Vitamin C: 5.8mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 1.1mg