Vegetarian Chile Relleno Enchurritos
Using flour tortillas, canned chiles, melty cheese, mashed black beans, and a quick enchilada sauce, these enchurritos come together in a jiffy--and they are huge hit with everyone!
Servings: 8 enchurritos.
- 1 ¾ cups (1 15-ounce can) refried beans, black or pinto
- 1 teaspoon chili powder blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 whole grain tortillas
- 3 cans whole mild green chiles (4-ounce) cans (if there is an extra chile, dice it for top garnish)
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese , sliced into 8 pieces, plus about ¼ cup grated for the top
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce , homemade or purchased (see note)
- Cilantro garnish , if you have it (I didn’t!)
Brush a 9 x 13-inch pan with oil, or spray with cooking spray. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
Mash the refried beans with the chili powder and cumin. Thin with water or some of your favorite salsa so the mix is smooth and spreadable. Taste, adding more chili powder if you wish. (To make your own bean spread, see recipe note.)
Drain the green chiles and place on plates. Insert a strip of cheese in each.
Spread each tortilla generously with the refried beans, almost to the edges.
Roll each bean-coated tortilla around a cheese-filled chile, then place in the prepared pan. Pour enchilada sauce over the filled tortillas, making sure the edges get plenty of sauce. Garnish with diced chiles and a sprinkle of cheese.
Bake until heated through and sauce begins to bubble, 25-to 30 minutes. (See recipe notes for links to my homemade enchilada sauce recipes.)
- Make your own black bean spread: In the work bowl of a food processor, puree 1 (15-ounce) can drained black beans with the chili powder, cumin, and 1/3 to 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa. Puree until the bean mixture is smooth and spreadable, adding more salsa as needed. Taste and add more chili powder if you wish. Scrape into a small bowl and set aside.
- Recipes for quick and easy enchilada sauce or authentic red enchilada sauce.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 1142mg | Potassium: 67mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 605IU | Vitamin C: 2.2mg | Calcium: 210mg | Iron: 2.1mg