Spinach Fettuccine with Arugula and Tomatoes
This is one of my favorite nutritious and delicious dinners. You will love how pasta and greens come together in a jiffy—I mean the table in 20 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Servings: 4 servings.
- 8 ounces spinach fettuccine (see note)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped garlic scapes or 3 cloves garlic , minced (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes , cut in half
- 6 cups arugula or 5 ounces baby arugula
- ½ cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese , optional
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. (see note) Stir in the pasta. Return to a simmer and cook according to package directions, or until pasta is just tender to the tooth. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoons of the olive oil. Set aside.
If using farmer's market arugula strip the leaves from the thicker stems and before coarsely chop the leaves.
While the pasta cooks, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium flame. Add the garlic scapes and pepper flakes and cook for several minutes to infuse the oil with garlic and pepper flavor. Stir in the tomatoes and arugula leaves, sprinkling with a bit of salt. After 30 seconds, remove from the heat. Stir in the reserved pasta. Serve garnished with the walnuts, and if desired, grated cheese
- I used DeBoles organic spinach pasta.
- Garlic flavor can come from the green scapes or garlic cloves. If it's spring and you've got scapes--sauté them up!
- Especially at high altitudes, where it takes a long time for water to boil, start the pasta water first.
Calories: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 29mg | Potassium: 442mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1075IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 2.3mg