Banana Waffles with Peanut Butter Maple Syrup
Yummy, crisp whole grain banana waffles with to-die-for peanut butter maple syrup--you will love to bake them, pop them in the freezer, and toast them when you feel like waffles, but don't have the time. Makes 8 (7 1/2-inch) waffles.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time15 minutes mins
Total Time30 minutes mins
Servings: 8 waffles.
For the Waffles:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (see note)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ripe bananas , mashed (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (see notes)
- ¼ cup avocado or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peanut Butter Maple Syrup:
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip the eggs until they have doubled in size. Add the mashed banana and whip another minute.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla, all at once. Mix until just combined, and then fold in the banana mixture.
Cook the waffles according to the waffle iron manufacturer’s instructions. (see notes) If you plan to freeze them, leave slightly underdone.
- Becky's recipe call for all-purpose flour. I subbed in whole wheat flour.
- Becky's recipe calls for 1 tablespoon sugar, which I omited.
- Becky's recipe calls for whole milk, I used non-dairy coconut milk.
- ½ cup batter cooked for just under 2 minutes turns out perfect waffles.
- The original recipe says this makes 12 waffles. I got 8.
- Freeze: Let the waffles cool, then lay out on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Freeze. Once frozen, transfer to a gallon-size resealable plastic bag.
Calories: 321kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 280mg | Potassium: 419mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 195IU | Vitamin C: 4.7mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 1.7mg