Greens and Potato Soup with Hominy and Pinto Beans
A hearty vegetarian soup with potatoes, hominy corn, pinto beans and your choice of nutritious greens like chard, spinach, beet greens, collards. Serve with a tossed green salad for a simple nutritious dinner.
Servings: 8 servings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound red potatoes , well-scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans, from scratch, or 1 (15-ounce) can, rinsed and drained (see note)
- 1 cup hominy , rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chile , seeds and veins removed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 7 ounces (about 6 cups) fresh greens (see note)
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (see note)
- Crumbled cotija or feta cheese for garnish (optional)
In a non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add potatoes and salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the vegetable broth in a large soup pot. Add the pinto beans, hominy, garlic, chile pepper and cumin.
Wash the greens and remove the stems. Coarsely chop them and stir into the broth.
When the potatoes are golden brown, add them. Simmer the soup until the potatoes are just tender, 10 to 15 more minutes.
Add the lemon juice, taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Greens with tender leaves that don’t take long to cook are best for this recipe.
- Apple cider vinegar can be substituted for the lemon juice.
Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1189mg | Potassium: 445mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1962IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg