Lentil, Avocado, and Radish Salad
This earthy, crunchy, creamy brightly flavored salad is fabulous over a bed of mixed lettuce greens. Bring it to a potluck dinner and you’ll be the hit of the party! Makes about 8 servings.
Servings: 8 servings.
- 1 cup black or green lentils , rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice—preferably the smaller Key limes or Mexican limones
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch radishes , trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ cup loosely packed mint leaves , chopped
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 avocado , sliced
- 1/3 cup tamari roasted pumpkin seeds
Put the lentils in a saucepan and cover with water at least 2 inches above the lentils. Add the bay leaf and the first ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer.
Cook until the lentils are tender yet hold their shape and texture, 20-25 minutes. Drain, discarding the bay leaf. Set aside to cool.
Whisk the oil, lime juice, garlic, the remaining salt, and cayenne in a bowl. Add the radishes, mint, and green onions. Mix in the cooked lentils. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Just before serving, add the avocado slices, and garnish with pumpkin seeds.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 209kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 191mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Vitamin C: 6.8mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 2.6mg