Blueberry Maple Hemp Muffins
Tiny hemp hearts add nutritious love to blueberry orange pecan muffins—delicious for breakfast or snacks! Naturally sweetened and whole grain! If you eat eggs, feel free to substitute an egg for the flax meal slurry.
Servings: 12 muffins.
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest (from one orange)
- 2/3 cup orange juice (see note)
- ¼ cup avocado or grapeseed oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 cups spelt flour, (8 1/2 ounces) (see note)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup chopped pecans plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1 cup blueberries , fresh or frozen, plus 12 blueberries for tops (see note)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 12 muffin cups with oil, or spray generously with cooking spray.
Mix the flax meal with warm water. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Sift the spelt flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a larger bowl. Stir in the hemp seeds and the 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
Mix the flax meal slurry with the orange zest, orange juice, oil and maple syrup.
Add the orange juice mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix with a rubber spatula, using as few strokes as possible so as not to overmix the batter. When there still clumps of flour unmixed, fold in 1 cup of blueberries. (see note)
Immediately divide the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Place a reserved blueberry on top of each muffin and sprinkle the remaining pecans.
Bake 20 -25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean and the tops of the muffins spring back when touched with a finger. Cool 5 to 10 minutes, and then remove from the pan.
- You may substitute an egg for the flax meal slurry.
- I used freshly squeezed orange juice, but any 100% juice OJ is fine. You can even substitute apple juice.
- Use white whole wheat flour if you don’t have spelt flour. Add 1 tablespoon of orange juice to the liquids if using whole wheat flour.
- If using frozen blueberries, add them frozen to the mix and barely stir them in or the there will be blue streaks in your muffins.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 190mg | Potassium: 109mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 63IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 2mg