Skillet Poached Eggs with Spinach
When it's pushing 7 o'clock in the evening, we're hungry, and we haven't an idea for dinner--we cook eggs. Perfectly poached eggs nesting in an emerald bed of spinach and leeks--just the answer!
Servings: 4 servings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks , halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise into half-moons
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 8 large eggs (I used 3--see note)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large skillet with a lid, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the leeks and sauté until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the spinach. Stir gently and cook until slightly wilted.
Spread out the spinach mixture to create 8 small wells. Crack an egg into each well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook until the desired doneness is reached for the eggs, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Jessica’s recipe calls for 8 eggs. I only poached 3—we like more veggies with our eggs.
- Chard and garlic, or leftover rice and beans, or spicy tomato sauce--we poach eggs in those too.
Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 327mg | Sodium: 161mg | Potassium: 399mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4540IU | Vitamin C: 15.3mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 3.4mg