Vegan Southwestern Cauliflower Soup (Pressure Cooker)
Once you have this simple creamy yet cream-less soup in your recipe repertoire, you’ll be making it over and over. For a more protien-rich soup, add 1 3/4 cup white beans, 1 (14-ounce) can, rinsed and drained. Cooking times based on pressure cooking. Recipe includes instructions for regular cooking too. Makes about 8 cups soup.
Servings: 6 servings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth (see note)
- 1 head (1 1/2 pounds) cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced mild green chilies
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- fine sea salt , to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions , for garnish
- 1/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds , toasted, for garnish
Heat the olive oil over medium flame, in a pressure cooker or soup pot. (see note) Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, cauliflower, chiles, cumin, and white pepper.
Lock the pressure cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure. Maintain the pressure for 6 minutes. Quick release the pressure: With an Instant Pot, turn the top dial to vent. For stovetop pressure cooker, place under cold running water.
For regular stovetop cooking, cover and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 25 minutes.
Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in a blender jar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with cilantro, green onions and pumpkin seeds.
- Keep it easy--use instant vegetable bouillon dissolved in hot water for broth.
- Be sure to sauté the aromatics, the onion and garlic, in a little olive oil first. Skip that step and your soup won’t have the same depth of flavor.
- For pressure cooking: Lock the pressure cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure. Maintain the pressure for 6 minutes. Quick release the pressure: With an Instant Pot, turn the top dial to vent. For stovetop pressure cooker, place under cold running water.
- If a jar blender is all you have, be sure to blend in small batches, transferring the pureed soup to another pot as you go.
Calories: 78kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 786mg | Potassium: 113mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1330IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg