Summertime Red Smoothie with Apple, Beet, and watermelon.
This super-healthy pick-me-up summertime sipper, besides being jam-packed with phytochemical benefits, tastes ever so refreshing! Real food anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and blood-cleansing nutritional powerhouses! Makes about 2 cups.
Servings: 2 servings.
- 2 cups watermelon chunks
- 1 small to medium beet , washed, peeled, and cut into wedges
- 1 small apple , seeded and cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice , optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 ice cubes
Starting with watermelon first, add all the ingredients to a blender jar, with watermelon on the bottom. Turn blender on slow speed until watermelon has liquefied, then increase speed and blend for 1 minute or until everything is smooth. (see note)
- It might take a few extra seconds in a regular blender compared to a high speed blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix, but regular blenders can whip up this smoothie no problem.
- If spicy heat isn’t your thing, start with a wee pinch of cayenne. I appreciate the heat but am not hugely heat tolerant and 1/8 teaspoon was the right amount for me.
Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 37mg | Potassium: 401mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 965IU | Vitamin C: 20.5mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.9mg