Mexican Black Bean Soup with Poached Egg
Once you have all the components ready, black bean soup topped with eggs is a breeze to complete. The times in this recipe assume you have prepped the beans and the salsa ahead of time.
Servings: 4 servings.
- 3 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups vegetable broth, from the homemade beans, or purchased
- fine sea salt, to taste
- 4 slices baguette, cut on bias about ¼ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil ,as needed
- 4 each eggs ,perfectly poached
- 1/2 cup Tomato salsa, homemade or purchased
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sprigs Italian flat leaf parsley or cilantro, optional
Heat the beans and broth. Season to taste with salt. (see note)
While the beans cook, brush a little olive oil on the baguette slices and toast them to just golden.
Poach the eggs.
When the eggs are ready, ladle some beans into a bowl, float the crostini, and gently slide the poached egg on top. Spoon on the salsa. Finish with a twist of freshly ground black pepper and a sprig of flat-leaf parsley.
- If you don’t have home cooked beans, use 2 cans black beans, drained, and 1 ½ to 2 cups of vegetable broth. If you wish, flavor the broth with ½ cup sautéed onion and 1 minced garlic clove.
- Homemade salsa, with fresh tomatoes, green chiles, onion and cilantro is first choice, though a good quality purchased salsa saves time.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 680mg | Potassium: 569mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 4.1mg