Italian Panzanella Salad with Kalamata Olives and Cherry Tomatoes
For a light main course salad toss cooked chickpeas into this simple crouton-crunchy flavorful combo. Delicious also the second day!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 to 3 cups ciabatta or artisan bread cut in 1-inch cubes
- Extra-virgin olive oil as needed
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 large head romaine lettuce or escarole trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives halved
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet.
Add the bread and sprinkle with salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Transfer to a bowl. Wipe pan clean.
Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add garlic, and sauté about 2 minutes. Add lettuce and cook until lettuce is just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the lettuce to the bread, along with the olives and tomatoes. Drizzle with more olive oil and the red wine vinegar. Season with plenty of freshly ground pepper and toss everything together. Taste for salt and vinegar tartness, adding more if needed. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Calories: 69kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 214mg | Potassium: 275mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1221IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg