How to Cook Black Beans in a Pressure Cooker
The pressure cooker or Instant Pot is your tool for perfectly tender black beans, ready for you next meal. Actual cooking time depends on whether you presoak the beans, and if you let the pressure come down naturally or quick release the pressure. This recipe makes about 4 ½ cups cooked beans and 3 cups delicious broth.
Servings: 4 cups
- 1 pound dried black beans, about 2 ¼ cups
- 3/4 cup chopped onion, optional
- 1 clove minced garlic, optional
- 1 or 2 dried red chiles like ancho or guajillo chiles, optional
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin or avocado olive oil, optional
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
Rinse and pick over the beans, looking for little stones that might be masquerading as beans.
*** If you soak your beans, put them in a bowl and cover with a couple inches of water and let soak at least 4 hours. Drain and rinse again before cooking.
Soak or unsoaked, put the rinsed beans into the pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Add any aromatic options.
Cover the beans with hot water—about 1 1/2 inches above the level of the beans. Bring the pot to pressure and cook for the allotted time. Time will depend on whether you soaked the beans or not, and whether you quick release or let the pressure come down naturally. (see notes)
Season to taste with more salt if you wish.
Test a bean to make sure it’s tender to your liking. If the beans need to cook more, bring to pressure again for a minute or so. Quick release the pressure.
You’re there—perfectly cooked black beans for your next recipe.
- Once the cooker is up to pressure, soaked black beans, pressure released naturally, take 5 to 6 minutes to cook.
- Once the cooker is up to pressure, soaked black beans, pressure quick-released, take about 9 minutes to cook.
- Once the cooker is up to pressure, beans not soaked and pressure quick-released, take about 20 minutes to cook.
Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 588mg | Potassium: 1725mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 19IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 6mg