Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Mushroom Gravy
Golden potatoes baked on top of veggies in a savory mushroom gravy, this hearty vegan recipe makes one (9 x 13) casserole, or 1 (12-inch) skillet, or 6 (6-inch) skillets. Each of the three components, garlic mashed potatoes, herbed mushroom gravy, and vegetable filling, can be made ahead. If it’s more convenient for you, assemble the pie, refrigerate, and bake it later.
Servings: 6 servings
For the garlic potato topping:
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes well-scrubbed or peeled if desired
- 1 bulb garlic (6 to 8 cloves), peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon sea salt
For the mushroom gravy:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage or 1 ½ teaspoons dried sage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 or 4 carrots diced in ½-inch cubes about 1 ¼ cups
- 1/2 small cauliflower broken into florets about 2 cups
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 ounce package baked tofu any flavor, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- Olive oil and paprika for top
Make the garlic potato crust:
Cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Place the potatoes and garlic cloves on a steamer rack in a large saucepan. Steam about 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender. (My Mom always cooked her potatoes in the pressure cooker—see notes for Instant Pot pressure cooked mashed potatoes.) Remove from steamer, reserving cooking water. Mash the potatoes and garlic with the olive oil and some of the cooking water, until smooth. (see note) Season with salt. Taste, adding more salt if you think it’s needed. Set aside.
Make the mushroom gravy:
Heat the oil in a large skillet on high heat. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are dry and deep golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Lower the heat to medium and stir in the arrowroot or flour. Stir until the mushrooms are coated with the flour. Add the vegetable broth, stirring continuously. Add the sage, thyme, and marjoram. Season with tamari soy sauce and lemon juice. Set aside.
Make the filling:
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and carrots, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the cauliflower and ½ cup of vegetable broth. Cover and reduce the heat; let simmer until the cauliflower is almost tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the peas and tofu cubes and cook, uncovered, until the peas thaw, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushroom gravy, tamari, and cayenne. Season to taste with salt.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly oil the serving dish: 6 (6-inch) cast iron skillets, or 1 (12-inch) cast iron skillet, or a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan. Spread the vegetables and gravy in the pan(s). Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the veggies. (I use my fingers.) If you wish, decorate with a sage leaf and sprig of thyme. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika. Bake about 20 minutes, until gravy bubbles around the edges.
Switch the oven to broil. Broil until the potatoes are golden brown on top.
- For Instant Pot garlic mashed potatoes: Place the potatoes and garlic in a steamer basket in the cooking pot. Add 1 cup of water. Lock the lid in place with the vent in the sealed position. Use the manual setting and set a 7 minute cooking time. Carefully turn the vent for quick release. When the valve drops, remove the lid.
- Non-vegan option: Mash the potatoes with milk in place of cooking water, and butter, in place of olive oil.
- For gluten free shepherd’s pie, thicken your gravy with arrowroot or cornstarch.
Calories: 367kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 839mg | Potassium: 1217mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5586IU | Vitamin C: 68mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 3mg