Breakfast Egg Muffins with Parmesan, Spinach, and Tomatoes
Vibrant easy-to-make healthy breakfast egg muffins made in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. With Parmesan cheese, spinach, and tomatoes, they're a delicious winning way to start your day!
Servings: 6 servings.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk dairy or unsweeted milk alternative
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
- ½ cup diced seeded tomato
- 2 scallions white and green parts, sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan or Pecorino
Spray 6 (6-ounce) ovenproof custard cups with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until just blended. Evenly divide the spinach, tomato, and scallions among the custard cups. Pour the egg mixture over the veggies. Sprinkle the cheese over each.
Pour 1 cup water into the pressure cooking pot and place a trivet in the bottom. Place 3 custard cups on the trivet and then place a second trivet on top. Place the remaining 3 cups on it. Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 5 minutes cook time. (see note)
When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and finish with a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully open the lid and remove the cups. You'll want to pop your muffins out the cups onto a kitchen towel right away, so they don't come out watery. (The steam in the cooker dribbles onto the egg custards.)
- I first set the timer for 6 minutes at High pressure. My egg muffins seemed overcooked, a bit spongy. I dropped the cooking time down to 5 minutes and they came out more custard-like.
- The steam in the cooker dribbles onto the egg custards. As soon as you open the lid, release the muffins from the cups onto a kitchen towel to absorb the extra water.
- For cooking breakfast egg muffins without a pressure cooker see the recipe details in this post.
Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 224mg | Sodium: 286mg | Potassium: 175mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 993IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 1mg