Green Zebra Tomato Caprese Salad
Keep your caprese salad simple—use the best tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and extra-virgin olive oil you can get. Quality ingredients speak for themselves. This amount serves about 4 people. Make as many servings as you wish, figure 2 or 3 slices per person of the cheese and tomato.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 or 4 ripe green zebra tomatoes, sliced ¼-inch thick
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced ¼-inch thick (ideally bufala mozzarella, see note)
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Small handful fresh basil leaves, washed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons best-quality extra virgin olive oil
Place a tomato slice on a serving platter. Lay a slice of cheese on the tomato, with about 1/2 inch of tomato showing. Continue arranging lengthwise or in a round, like a flower, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go.
Stack basil leaves on top of each other end to end, 6 to 8 leaves per stack. Roll each stack up like a cigarette and slice into very thin ribbons. Sprinkle the ribbons all over the tomatoes and cheese. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Give the whole platter one last grind of black pepper.
- Bufula mozzarella is fresh mozzarella made with buffalo milk, imported from Italy, packaged in brine.
- Make as many servings as you wish, figure 2 or 3 slices per person of the cheese and tomato.
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 360mg | Potassium: 262mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1150IU | Vitamin C: 12.6mg | Calcium: 296mg | Iron: 0.5mg